Monday, November 16, 2009

Random Amalgam of Things Happen-ed/ing

Updates, updates, funny things:

Funny Story: Yesterday while walking down ave. 9 de julio, water started to fall from above and I didn't think anything of it. It's very common here, especially during the summer, for water droplets or splashes to come down from apartments and offices above as air conditioners drip water, or people clean their balconies, etc. It's a normal hazard of the streets.
But it seems liked a lot of water and I heard a man grunting so I looked up and saw a man pissing off of his balcony. I'm glad I bothered to move and not get hit! I could've gotten angry but it just seemed like one of those ridiculous things of city life. A bunch of buddies got wasted saturday night, this guy woke up at 2pm and decided to pee off the balcony without concern for hitting people with his urine. Oh city life, it makes me laugh.

Halloween: went by completely uneventfully considering it doesn't exist here. I really missed Halloween, but no, no costumes or costume party for me.

The semester is coming to a close - I have each class only once more - and then off to California for Christmas (15th - 29th)! wahooooo. I'm really looking forward to finishing my classes and starting the field research portion of my fellowship. And super excited to bake cookies and cinnamon buns and see my family and be merry with themm. The only thing is the warm weather is making it very difficult for me to get in the Christmas spirit but I'm sure when we round the corner into December it'll hit me.

Thanksgiving is coming up! I'm still not sure what I'll be able to successfully produce of traditional Thanksgiving eats - we'll just have to wait and see. But I know cranberries aren't going to be on the menu, and neither is the french cut green bean casserole with fried crispy onions on top... I'm also doubting the turkey. And the pumpkin pie (I've never made one not with pumpkin from a can before...). But Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, some sort of salad, stuffing, some sort of vegetable? will certainly be on the menu.

It's spring in Argentina. And it's absolutely breathtaking. The weather is so lovely, and it just happened overnight it seems. It's impossible not to be in good spirits all the time, anything bothersome just rolls right off of you. Walking around the city is lovely, and the streets are full of these trees with beautiful purple blossoms.It feels great to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment